I'm seriously thinking about drawing my older pond down 3-5 feet in the next couple of years, and renting a large trackhoe, like a CAT 320. I have several friends with track loaders, skid steers, and dump trucks who can then move the sludge I take out. The clay bottom of my pond is solid enough that I figure I can drive the trackhoe in at least up to half the track height without getting stuck. With the bucket in the "float" mode I figure I can use a wide bucket to skim the muck off the compacted clay bottom without doing much damage.

I actually do that now with my little backhoe or a friend's medium size Kubota rubber-track excavator. But my backhoe can only get out about 10 feet, and the excavator can only get out 15-18 feet at depth, while working from shore during full pool.

Being in NY, I have to ask if tilapia are legal to stock in any way, in ponds, in your area? If so, have you thought trying to use them? I know people in Mt. Kisco, NY growing tilapia, but they are doing it in a closed aquaponics system (Cabbage Hill Farms).

Lastly, think about our great Pond Boss friend, Dr. Mark Cornwell, at SUNY Cobbeleskill. Just Google "SUNY CORNWELL" and you can find contact info. Nobody knows more about NY state ponds and fisheries management than Dr. Cornwell.

If for no other reason, being in NY state, you should think about subscribing to Pond Boss Magazine to read his regular articles about his research and raising fish, in ponds, in the state of NY.

Regards,
Ken

Good luck,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!