Yes, 4" would be a no-go for even my wife. Funny thing is some of the first we caught were really pretty nice fish. One was probably in the 11-12" range. We got rid of them! It was only later that she decided to try cleaning and eating some. Most she cleaned were in the 6"-9" range with the 6" being questionable. Have not caught any more of the larger size. If she liked to just cut the head off and leave bone in the smaller ones could probably be harvested. But she is into fillets with no bones and I like deep fried fish nuggets so I don't interfere with her endeavor. If we catch any larger ones though, they definitely will be eaten.

I have to think that these bullheads are all pretty young and have grown fast on the fish food I've been feeding and that helps with the taste. An old bullhead taken out of a creek might not taste the same. What something eats definitely can change the flavor.

I really don't mind some bullheads and GSF in this old refurbished pond. It's not like it is my only pond. What I do mind is if they take over the pond, multiply too much and stunt, and basically ruin the pond. If I can manage to keep them somewhat in check they will add to the diversity of fish to catch.

Got to say one thing positive about GSF and bullheads. They don't mind biting a hook when other fish are persnickety.

Last edited by snrub; 06/05/14 10:25 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine