Originally Posted By: anthropic
I've heard lots about the OTS CNBG here. What separates them from "ordinary" CNBG? Do they grow faster, get bigger, eat more aggressively? Is their genetic profile superior?

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I'm just curious.

PS Gorgeous pics.

The OTS CNBG is a special strain of pure Florida genetics developed by Overton Fisheries in Buffalo Texas.
To the best of my knowledge Overton Fisheries and Tyler Fish Farm are the only two hatchery/fish farms producing pure strain CNBG in this part of the country.

I have been fortunate to have participated in this program for some 6 years by donating one original pure CNBG strain to Overton’s pure brood stock that were brought directly from Florida. Todd Overton is an outstanding TAMU graduate fisheries biologist and has selected brood stock each year to produce desired characteristics chosen for body shape and specific color/markings.

OTS CNBG differ from ”ordinary” CNBG that are imported from
Arkansas by fish trucks and often questionable genetics.
IMO Overton’s special CNBG strain are the faster growing with superior shape and special markings

I believe that growth potential of any fish species is largely controlled by environmental conditions as well as aggressive feeding program.

I lost some of my largest specimens in a bad fish kill in 2011 when our 2 acre pond shrunk to 1 acre during our record heat wave and drought conditions. We restocked with some special specimens and now recovering with some really outstanding fish that we are xcited about.
Love OTS CNBG!

Maybe Todd will jump in and comment on this years crop - they are in such demand that he often sell out early.
I have no business connection with Overton - just a satisfied customer.
George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)