My 3 year old 1 acre 8 foot deep aerated pond has had a suspended clay problem from the beginning that I have been able to keep somewhat in check by keeping a good bloom going. After the initial beautiful spring bloom this year, the water clouded up and I got too busy to fertilize regularly. Now, no amount of fertilizer seems to get the bloom going again. No catfish in the pond to stir things up, just hybrid bream and a few bass. My chemistry is great, since the pond is fed only by well water. Alkalinity-250 ppm, Hardness-180 ppm, and a pH of 8.4. The pH usually runs around 8.0 but with all the rain lately, it has a tendency to go up slightly. I was thinking about alum to clear the water up a little so my bloom can get going again, but I have a few question for the experts. Searching this forum, I find that most have had good success as long as you follow directions. My pH and alkalinity is high so I don't think I would have a buffering problem or pH crash. Has anyone used baraclear or phosclear before? I think the phosclear has a buffer in it already. Are liquid forms better than crystal? From what I read, the alum causes the clay to bunch up and sink to the bottom. How thick a layer does it form on the bottom? Does the layer of particles eventually mix with the clay on the pond bottom? My pond has been aerated since day one so I have absolutely no scum on the bottom and I would like to keep it that way if possible. Since alum is caustic, does it become inert when it combines with the suspended particles and sinks? We swim in the pond, too, just like the fish, and I wouldn't want to do anything that would keep us out or endanger anyone's health. If the alum works, how often should I treat? Is there a "X times per year" threshold or maximum? Last question, will I be required to turn in my pondmeister's badge because I haven't been able to solve this problem on my own? \:\( Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the advice. I've learned alot from this forum, I just hope I can get enough experience to return the favor someday.