I've been more of a lurker than poster, but I am getting a little closer to building (actually having it built) a pond.
Got some good advice from the new member intro thread, and had the guys out from the USDA to check out the potential pond site. We are looking at a one acre pond with about eight acres drainage.
No financial help from USDA, because the pond will be in the woods.
Getting some test holes dug soon, looking for no rock or gravel, and good clay.
I'll attach a few pics of the potential pond site.
Two from the possible dam site (one from each side) and one from the inlet side looking towards the possible dam site.

FYI, the pictures do not accurately show the slope of the hills. It will easily be 12-18 feet deep at the dam.

Left side: (dam)

Right side: (dam)

Inlet center, towards dam:

Ok, now for the question.. If I get someone out fairly soon, with a backhoe, how many, and what location do I need to look at for test holes? And how deep?

And, if the test holes look ok, is it worth it to bring in a pond expert, or have my neighbor, who's got a huge cat dozer, and is retired from running a dozer for 30+ years, and has built many, many ponds (he says.)

I want this pond to hold fish, be "ok" for swimming, but most of all I want it to hold water, and handle big rains safely..

One other question.. Would it be worth it to have someone come in for the timber?

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by SetterGuy; 06/29/15 06:16 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023