Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: J. Meyer
Is it common practice to keep large numbers of trophy size walleye on Erie? Maybe they don't release well?

Enjoy your blog, but some of these picture poses turned my stomach..

Lambast me if I'm missing something.....

I have a much different comment than Ken (catmandoo), and there are reasons I agree with you, but ya can't post that stuff here.

Not to start anything but do you understand the Lake Erie fishery and how the harvest on Lake Erie is done with the Canadian commercial fishery getting the vast majority of the harvest and the nets don't select the size of fish. Keeping large fish on Lake Erie is very common and doesn't affect the fishery. The angler harvest is a very small portion of the overall harvest on Erie and the lake is very fertile with good to excellent recruitment the last few years. The fish that Nate caught are most likely from 2006 or 2008 (2008 was a very good hatch). I personally don't keep walleyes on Lake Erie over 28" don't care for them on the table but keeping them doesn't hurt the fishery. You have to realize the Lake Erie is totally different than most other walleye fishery (Lake Michigan Green Bay and some what Little bay and Big Bay are similar) than you are use to and have to understand this before passing judgement on someone.
I would never keep a those walleyes on small lakes in Wisconsin even not on Winnebago or in a Canadian lake but then again you need to understand the capabilities of the fishery and treat it appropriately