Originally Posted By: esshup

It's been a while now since I've been playing with stocking numbers of Tilapia for algae control (not as long as Rex tho), and the reason (I believe) why we need higher numbers (per acre) of Tilapia than you do is that we have to wait longer in the year to stock Tilapia than you do. The FA gets a larger foothold, and takes more Tilapia per acre to get it under control.

Just like when Dave Davidson and Bob Lusk stocked tilapia at what I think was 10x the stocking rate that you are successful with, they didn't have success. The FA got way ahead of the Tilapia in their case. Same up North.

Tilapia cost more up North because of two reasons. 1) If you keep them over the winter, we have 5-7 months that we have to heat the water to keep them alive and flourishing in enough numbers to stock ponds. That takes energy, and energy costs $$. 2) If we don't overwinter the Tilapia, we have to buy them from some place down South, and have them shipped up here. Diesel fuel, insurance, O2, vehicle and equipment costs, and drivers wages all add to the cost that you guys down there don't have.

I couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted By: Rainman
At $18/lb, you are getting a food fish Hybrid Tilapia...Possibly even mostly male fish. Results will be very spotty at best, require they be stocked in warmer water, plus they die earlier. Mine are a little more per pound, but can be stocked at 62 degrees and live to 45 degrees, are ungraded, 5-10", so they are not pricey bass snacks and are very consistent on stocking rates for algae control/forage production. You could end up buying more than twice as many of the "cheap" fish to gain the same results. No savings there at all when the numbers are crunched.

I strongly suggest ungraded fish because of 2 reasons...Graded fish can result in a majority of a single sex rather than a good mix....Second, a few small fish may distract predators from the rest to allow a faster pond acclimation, plus the few small ones sacrificed weigh/cost very little. (I personally stock a pound or two extra to cover any loss)

I agree with all your reasons and thoughts Rex, but perhaps I just lucked into a "good spotty bunch". Some businesses can offer good products at a cheap price, so not every cheap one is "unreliable" or bad. However, buyer beware. It did work for me, one time anyway. Did not have a single problem of anything you mentioned. Don't know what the future brings this year, or what I will be doing. I may experiment a bit.....