How far back from the water is it soggy ?.I have 1 1/2 to 2 inch rock on the waters edge and this time of year i can't walk on the rock without sinking in a bit but the grass above the rock line is solid enough to drive my tractor and mower over without making ruts and the way it sounds my pond has about the same amount of clay yours would have here in Ohio so I would think it would help you there.
Heres a tip that you may already know, when i first built my pond 5 yrs ago I had 3 big dump truck loads of stone brought in and i used a loader tractor and a hand rake to spread it on the banks and did most of it myself which means climbing on and off a tractor 100 times and took me 2 weeks off and on to make all the way around.
Well last summer i realized I didn't put it on thick enough so i called a trucking co. that has a stone chucker type truck and for very little more money he drove around my pond and sprayed it on the banks and put down another 2 truckloads in about an hour and did just as nice of job as I did spreading it by hand..jeezzzzz that was easy...
But needless to say it was very dry here last summer so the ground was hard enough to get those heavy trucks around the pond without leaving ruts.. Larry