It appears the variety that I find in our ditch in front of our house might be different from the variety found in the stream below our house. Hopefully I can catch some later this spring and compare.

Here is an atricle about a study done on two species of Kansas crayfish. Most may not be interested in this information, but putting it here in case others in the same general area might find the information useful at some future point.

Immunis and Nais varieties

Specifically it says Immunis is found in roadside ditches, Nais is found in streams and ponds. (Douglas county Kansas, north of me a ways). So I still don't know what is here locally, as Immunis (Paper shell or Calico) are supposed to be north of here and the Northern variety Virillis is what is supposed to be here. But we have lots of crayfish in our roadside ditches and lots of crayfish in our streams and ponds. So still not sure what variety I have here on this place, but it sounds like it (or more than one) might be suitable for inclusion in a forage pond. The article also states that each variety is found in a specific type of habitat and rarely found together. Yet the paper shell (Immunis)is what is most often sold commercially for ponds............ still confused.

Edit: Ok this quote makes me believe this is the most likely variety for my area and should be suitable for inclusion in my forage pond:
Culture Potential of Selected Crayfishes

O. nais aka water nymph crayfish
is found in a range of aquatic areas. It is
found in both slowly moving to swiftly moving
streams. It is also found in ponds and ditches
which are free of vegetation and also choked with
vegetation (Williams and Leonard 1952)

O. nais
is not a primary burrowing species, but
lives in open water and under rocks. At times it
will make shallow burrows under grass tussocks
at the edge of the water and in muddy or clayey