Cody knows best - I'd like to add:

If trophy SMB were my goal, I'd go low density [25-50/acre] with pellet trained fish and specifically not add spawning structure to help manage population. GSH, LCS, BNM or other minnows and non burrowing crays would comprise my forage base. Low density SMB might be challenged to manage YP numbers - depending on density/presence of aquatic vegetation. However, I love YP so much I wouldn't mind leaving the management to myself thru angling pressure. I do NOT envision the YP population impacting the forage base outlined above to the extent that SMB would suffer. Remember a YP gape is pretty limited - any GSH or LCS 4"+ would likely be outside the predation range of all but the largest YP.

SO - I think you're onto something here, and also think the YP would be a great addition if you enjoy harvesting them to assist in management. You could grow some truly impressive SMB in this scenario.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]