Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
It appears you've got some decent clay soil so it should hold water - maybe well. It looks like a good job for a minnow pond. If fertilized and/or minnow feeding you could raise maybe 50 lbs of minnows per year. At $5.00/ lb that is around $250/yr. Multi-species of minnows feeding in different niches could increase the annual production. Aeration (RC51 style) would help. If it gets lots of algae or weeds which it likely will, put papershell crayfish in there to keep the bottom clean - polyculture and a double crop for a total of more than 50 lbs - minnows + crayfish. Crayfish will eat the excess minnow food. You won't need cover for crayfish if just minnows are present. There are people here that will buy your crayfish.

Not going to get rich raising FHM's!!!! cry Fortunately that was not a goal for this project anyway. smile

Thanks for mentioning the fertilizer. Reminds me I need to put a scoop of the manure/hay compost pile in there to get things growing when it fills.

Had not thought of paper shell crayfish. I kind of like that idea.

If the FA in my big pond is any indication, yep, I'm going to have algae.

Figuring on putting a diffuser in there when the aeration goes into the big pond later this spring.

Will hand feed the FHM's. I like watching them.

Would like to raise some RES. What would happen if I put in something like 10 RES, a pound of FHM's, and some soft shell crayfish. Just let them duke it out and see what comes out the winner. laugh

I know RES preferred food is snails. If my main pond is any indication the rock I put in this pond will be covered with snails. Realizing this probably will not be enough, it is my understanding that RES also eat pretty much what BG eat, so they should consume young FHM's also. I'm guessing the RES also would like crayfish so they might be goners. Would the rock I put in there give them some hiding places and a chance for survival? Would I need to start out with a higher amount of FHM's to account for the RES wiping out a significant number? Is this just a recipe for disaster? eek

Surely I would end up with one out of three surviving and reproducing. Two out of three would not be too bad either. Three out of three would probably be too much to ask.

I feel an experiment coming on. wink

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by snrub; 03/30/14 09:49 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine