Originally Posted By: Bearbait1
A few random thoughts and questions.
1 It seems unlikely that the true ground water table is that high in Ohio. I would guess there is a shallow non permiable layer of clay in that area causing the surface water. If that is the case, digging through the clay layer may drain the area, good or bad.
2 How big is the wet area?
3 A pond can be easily dug with an excavator in a wet area, it doesnt matter if it fills as it is being dug.
4 If you are raising the yard, why bother with the french drain? Can you just build a gentle slope for drainage?
5 you may want to check with Local NRCS office or website and look at the soil survey of your area, it is not exact but may be a start in understanding what you are dealing with.

I got on the NRCS site and found my AOI. It was a pretty interesting site. I had no idea that existed.

To answer a few of your questions:
1 According to the NRCS my back yard appears to be right at the water table (if I'm reading it right).
2 The wet area is maybe 1/3 of an acre + and is oval shaped. There are several other similar wet areas within a fairly close proximity to our house as well.
4 I had planned to grade the fill dirt to the pond without a french drain initially. I figured I would ad the drain as an afterthought if necessary.

**Also based on the picture do you think I will have issues with the number of trees that will be around the pond? It will get direct sunlight in the afternoon hours.

This is what I found found from NRCS:
This description area actually only encircled the area I want to build my pond, my back yard, and the existing swampy/pond area to the west side of our yard. All the surrounding areas including my house were listed as sloped areas that are well drained.

I would be very interested in what some of you guys think as far as digging in this spot.

Stark County, Ohio
Ch—Carlisle muck
Map Unit Setting

Elevation: 600 to 3,700 feet
Mean annual precipitation: 28 to 42 inches
Mean annual air temperature: 46 to 54 degrees F
Frost-free period: 110 to 195 days

Map Unit Composition

Carlisle and similar soils: 100 percent

Description of Carlisle
Setting

Landform: Depressions
Parent material: Herbaceous organic material and/or woody organic material

Properties and qualities

Slope: 0 to 2 percent
Depth to restrictive feature: More than 80 inches
Drainage class: Very poorly drained
Capacity of the most limiting layer to transmit water (Ksat): Moderately low to moderately high (0.06 to 0.20 in/hr)
Depth to water table: About 0 to 6 inches
Frequency of flooding: None
Frequency of ponding: Frequent
Calcium carbonate, maximum content: 30 percent
Available water capacity: Very high (about 13.8 inches)

Interpretive groups

Farmland classification: Not prime farmland
Land capability (nonirrigated): 3w
Hydrologic Soil Group: A/D

Typical profile

0 to 60 inches: Muck
60 to 80 inches: Variable

Minor Components
Willette

Percent of map unit:
Landform: Depressions

Linwood