Manfrotto makes some nice tripods!

Al, that tripod that I brought to Nebraska for the spotting scope came with the spotting scope when I bought it, I forget the brand. It is heavy, but stable. I bought a carbon fiber tripod for carrying around in the backpack. Both extend far enough to be used while standing. The metal one is a bit more stable, but I can add a bag of rocks to the center of the CF one and that brings the wobble down. I think the spotting scope weighs more than the CF tripod, and the metal tripod weighs more than the spotting scope.

TJ, if you are going to use the camera there at the house, put it on a tripod and leave it together by the door if the photos will be a spur of the moment thing. They do take some time to set up.

I'd be willing to bet I have at least a half dozen different tripods. From big to small 8" tall tabletop ones. I have a 35mm Cannon AE-1 in a bag with a buttload of lenses and filters, but since the pocket sized digital cameras hit the market, it's never seen the light of day. There's a lot to be said about portability. A friend who is "comfortable" is into photography. IIRC he has 3 cameras with him whenever he's on the farm, so instead of changing lenses, he just grabs a different camera. He loves the digital age. He said his problem is looking at all the pictures that he takes, and weeding out the worst ones. In the film age, he'd limit the number of picures he took and feels that he missed out on some great ones by doing that.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).