Originally Posted By: esshup
Around here they are telling people not to go on the ice that is on Lake Michigan because it's too dangerous.

If you have ever seen the piled up ice around the lakeshore, you would recognize that these chunks of ice are all fractures and randomly shoved together. There could be a snow covered hole or crevice that you can't see, step on it, then vanish, or be in jeopardy.

This is all formed by wave action breaking up the ice and pushing it toward shore.

I was at the barber shop (beauty salon to some), mid week, and they were all buzzing on how stupid people were by venturing out on the ice along the South Pier in GH and beyond. canyoncreek had a pic here of this insanity, I'll try find it.

This is it! Just a couple miles from me, but hear they are venturing further out.

Don't see anyone in the channel from the Grand River. It ain't frozen over a bit up stream.

I really don't know when this pic was taken, but it serves the purpose. I do know from a drive by a couple weeks ago, that the ice was quite jagged and protruding up by the Bill-Mar eatery a bit South of the South Pier. This is the South Pier in the pic.

Last edited by JKB; 03/01/14 10:59 AM.