Originally Posted By: Lacey
I'd also love a bit of advice on aeration. I just bought this property - my pond is about 1/4-1/2 acre and is 3-4 feet deep. It is fed by runoff, but do have a way to add water if I need to do so. And, it is stocked with bass among other things. What I am thinking of is an aerator (boilermaker sort?). Any advice on HP or gallons per minute I should look for? Also, Would I need to run it year round day and night? I am in north ms. Kinda worried about the cost of the unit as well as the energy cost to run it. Anyone have advice/luck with building one? Thanks y'all.

First off, listen to what Bill Cody says.

One other possibility, but it will depend entirely if your soils are conducive to it. You could take a trackhoe and have one side deepened or widened, with the water still in. But you MUST know from a local pond builder if this will work in your soils or you might end up with just a big leaky mud puddle.

I used our backhoe to go around an old pond and establish some deeper water in places. But we have clay pan soils that we normally do not have to worry about "sealing up" to hold water. If your soils will work doing this, it is a fairly inexpensive way of doing a partial refurbish on one area of the pond without draining and killing everything that is already there.

Just one possible way of getting some deeper water area without being horribly expensive.

Last edited by snrub; 02/26/14 12:13 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine