Ok, you did not ask for a story, but you are going to get one.

But first will answer your question, so I do not forget. The paddle boat is a Paddle King and we really like it. It is not inexpensive, but a quality aluminum boat that should last many years.

Paddle King

Note: Hey Lusk, you ought to hit these guys up to be advertisers. These are great boats and this would be a great site to promote them. Guess that should have been a private message - too late.

The story. We started out, as I usually do, cheap. It's in my nature. My parents were married at the depth of the Great Depression and I grew up in a frugal, religious household.

Wal-Mart sells via on line order the relatively inexpensive plastic pedal boat we thought we wanted. I looked at lots of different brands. Ordered it in March. Plenty of time to get it for the summer in our new pond. 8 weeks later special shipping company delivered it. Fork lift holes in the bottom. Sent it back. Month later finally get credit and second one shipped out. Still time for summer use. Waited. Waited. Forgot about it. Called. It had been shipped but shipping company had caught the holes in it this time so took it back before it ever got to our place. Summer is here. Talked to Wal-Mart and they were going to ship out another. Week went by they called and said their system did not allow for the third try, would have to put in a new order. Canceled. Money refunded. Disappointed. Summer mostly over. Looked around for one locally but no luck.

The more I thought about the little plastic boat the less I liked the idea. First let me say they get pretty good reviews and at about $600 they are affordable. I think they would be great for 30 year old couple with small kids. But wife and I will be 60 this spring. Stepping into a tippy plastic boat off our dock made me have second thoughts. I go swimming in our pond but wife has no desire to and her first fall into the water from a tippy boat suddenly did not leave a pleasant picture in my mind.

So I started doing internet searches. Lot of reading. Ran across Paddle King and it looked super. Waaaay more money that we planned on spending (isn't it always). But it was aluminum. Even if it got a hole eventually we have a welder 3 miles away that can repair anything on it. It would last our lifetime likely if we gave it any care at all. It was stable. I can walk all the way around it with or without wife aboard easily without fear of tipping. I put my diffuser in place with it. I put a fish finder on it. With a little luck and sweet talk I am expecting an underwater fish camera present to find its way to my birthday dinner. IT IS DRY WELL. Let me repeat that. The pedals are above water level, so the water freely drains out. Lots of features the cheap boats do not have.

Looked up dealer network. Witichita (3 hours away) dealer had two and a trailer. Went out and bought it and put it in the water. Have not regretted it. Paddles easy. Fun to use. Room for 4 if all 4 are not too big (800#).

We have the four people version because we have grandkids. I will say one thing, if all you are ever going to want on the boat is 2 people, I would go with the 2 person. With two people in the 4 person boat, it is a little front heavy. Not enough to bother anything except in wind. With the back up a little, the wind will tend to push the back end around worse than if we have one in the front seat and one in the back. Somehow my wife does not want to be on the peddaling end if we do it that way. One in each seat (front and back) boat is balanced and wind does not bother it as bad. You do not want this boat out in heavy wind anyway as going with the wind is a breeze so to speak, but it puts up enough of a sail effect it is not as much fun in 20 mph wind. The 2 person boat would be better balanced if all you ever need is 2 person capability. The 4 person has a lot higher max weight capacity though.

We have no regrets buying it. We bought the table accessory which is nice to mount fish finder and has built in drink holders. We bought a swimming ladder but have to install yet before we put it back in the water this spring. Good if you fall in, which we have not yet.

Long story. Hope it helps you out.

Last edited by snrub; 02/13/14 05:03 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine