Hi. I just saw that when you put aerator in 18 ft depth, it stunk like sulfur. I got on this website to look for information whether or not I should aerate a pond we are going to build. Our concern is this. The proposed pond area is underlain by a formation of clay that when exposed to oxygen, generates extremely acid water, like ph 3.0 or so. NOT very good for fish or other living things. As long as the DO is low the material does not produce acid. Anaerobic is good for that. Oh, by the way the clay contains pyrite (it sparkles) and that is what causes the acid. A sign that the acid is being produced is the odor of rotten eggs, which if I am not mistaken, is sulfur. I am in NJ near Phila PA and we have these formations that we have to be careful of in some areas when we dig deep. I saw that you smelled sulfur when you aerated deep and was concerned that if you have similar material where you are, you could be creating sulfuric acid, by exposing pyrite flakes or other mineral to oxygen. That could kill fish.