Thanks for all the replies!

Dave, Lori said she IS going to take you up on the offer of the rocks! The backyard renovation is probably happening later this year...as soon as the current project is finished. It was great talking with you today!

The tiles are only twelve years old...and there are no bright colors. I tiled the front half of the house shortly after we bought it and have no fear of contaminants leaching from the tile. The tiles were a PITA to put down, and a PITA to remove.

As for asbestos, here's what I've been told many times over the past few years at work: asbestos in tile, formica, linoleum, insulation, drywall, etc, is basically all the same. It is a naturally occurring rock, and as been used since ancient Egytptian times for it's superb insulating quality. Nevertheless, the long filaments are a carcinogen, and are only dangerous when airborne. Millions of dollars have been made by abatement companies in the old WWII hangars that I work in. It has become a big deal and we aren't even supposed to place nails or screws in the drywall. From what I've witnessed, the abatement process consists of an attempt to create a negative pressure zone, fans, and a decon booth. All that to say that MSC had a pretty good joke.

I think I am going to use some old oak pallet timbers (roughly 4"x5") as a containment for the tile shards thrown haphazardly in. Stacked four or five high, with alternating sides, they should negate any problem of the piles slumping, yet still provide a great place for growth. Of course, I'll throw some pictures up on this thread.

Last edited by Mobilus; 02/09/14 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling