Originally Posted By: MSC
Don't hear much about frogs on here. I am interested in putting more frogs in my pond. I think they would be a good forage for the LMB. Of course, there are already frogs in the pond I just want to put more in. I can catch tadpoles by the chitload.

Good idea? Bad idea?

One of the best ponds I ever fished (for LMB) was only about 1/2 acre and shallow. The shallow end of the pond was like a swamp. But this pond, every step you would take walking around the pond, frogs would jump in. They were not bullfrogs, they were maybe leopard frogs or pickerel frogs.

You could see a couple bruiser LMB swimming along the dam when the water got real clear, around 6 to 7 lbs. I wasn't the only one fishing there. Anyhow, a guy caught a 9 lb 12 oz out of there. This is a state that has had very few LMB over 10 lbs.

I once fished an isolated 18 acre pond as a kid that had thousands of frogs lining the bank. It also had stunted bluegills by the millions. And this pond too had bruiser bass in it even though it was pretty far north in New England. Sometimes you would see frogs disappear among lily pads with a big splash. I landed ver few of them as a kid using live frogs as bait as they would wrap themselves in lily pads and snap me off.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/09/14 11:25 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.