Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I agree with G, casting a float into a school of feeding GC and they'll likely scatter. If you're going to try a spinning rig, I would suggest casting the float rig out first and get the stubbys in the correct feeding zone. Once it's there, fire up the feeder or toss your pellets around your stubbys pellet. If the rig is in the zone already, they won't be spooked by a float splashing down and will likely disregard it entirely as nothing threatening. This works for me on super shy HSB and SMB in my pond when I don't feel like exhausting them on a flyrod - I cast first, then feed second. My largest rod, however, is a 6 wt...so that's another reason for the spinning rig for larger fish I want to land quickly. A 10#+ HSB on 6 wt rod takes some time to subdue.
TJ, I am really glad that you brought up the subject of sizes of fly rods for pond fishing – You hit the nail on the head , “My largest rod, however, is a 6 wt.”
We have been talking about beginner fly rods that guys and gals have in possession or beginner fly rods usually in the 5 and 6-wt range. I think it is timely to move to the next level.

Personally, I would never recommend a bobber to cast a fly on to a person that is capable of casting a fly rod – or – cast first and feed second – defeats the whole process IMO.

Upgrade your equipment when pursuing POND species exceeding ~5 pounders.
There are lots of fly rods out there capable of horsing our big LMB out of brush piles or taming big HSB. I have a healthy collection of fly rods ranging from ~$200.00 TFOs to high dollar Sages and Winston in weights from 8 to 12.

My very favorite of them all is Temple Fork Outfitters 8-10 MiniMag that is one third the cost of Sages etc and has a lifetime no fault guarantee to boot.
Yes, I am somewhat biased because I did the major field-testing for the manufacturer, representing the “average” consumer.
http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/mini-mag-series.html#.UueJ1NLnYrg

As TJ says “when I don't feel like exhausting them on a flyrod”.
Time to step up to the plate guys – don’t kill your fish by over playing them on light tackle.

I’ll get into the specs on the Tackle thread.
George

George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)