Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Wow great link.

I have access to all the barrels I want and all the IBC totes I want. I was going to build two solid waste swirl filters before a bio filter like in the link Bill as posted.

One question is I expect that the water should go to the grow beds from the clarifier first then the bio filter then back to the fish right?

Yes! With any type of biofilter or grow beds, whether it be DWC, media, or NFT you need to remove as many solids as you can before the water goes to them, so you don't get any anoxic areas of decomposing detritus in your media, which can lead to reduced nitrification due to competition from anoxic heterotrophic bacteria. And contrary to what many people think, your plant roots need oxygen and not fish poop. The roots can get coated with detritus and actually have problems. The plants get their nutrients and nitrates from the water. My solid laden water is drawn off and used on my raised garden.

Personally I would include some type of biofilter separate from your grow bed to be safe, such as a 55 gallon drum moving bed filter. But it's your choice.

The ammonia is removed in the bio filter correct? Guessing that the grow beds will be a large bio filter as well?

If it's a media grow bed, yes, the media acts as a biofilter but like I said above it's a good idea t have a dedicated biofilter to play it safe.

Cheers Don.

EDIT: P.S. the $2000 was including our greenhouse that will be 18X32.

Gottcha. Didn't know that.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/20/14 01:15 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.