There are lots of posts about stocking and raising fish. But what and when do we harvest? Or more specifically, what CAN we harvest without damaging the fishery (for those wanting lots of table fare) and what do we NEED to harvest (for those more interested in catch & release) to maintain a balanced fishery.

Ok...Ok. I know the answer.............. "depends"...... crazy

So to get the discussion started, and to give a specific example (my own pond of course! smile ) here is the stocking information I posted in my new member profile back in October 2003. snrub new member post

In I think March or April 2013 we put in 750 fingerling BG that had a few RES mixed in along with FHM (forget how many pounds). The FHM reproduced fantastic and the BG biggest ones are around 5-6" this fall. Also have a bunch of new 3/4" to 2" BG so the original stock matured and spawned. Been hand feeding some floating and sinking catfish 32% pellets. About a half gallon a day lately. Not as much early on. (this is a 3.5 acre pond in SE Kansas)

A couple months (Sep 2013) ago stocked 350 CC and 350 LMB fingerlings. Amazing how fast those catfish grow with a little feed. Caught a couple and they had big fat bellies and about double original length already.

(note: the above is pretty much "by the book" stocking for Kansas ponds for a pond without supplemental feeding. I have given these fish some supplemental feeding on the advice of the person selling the fish, that they would grow better and reproduce in higher numbers. I think they have)

Everything additionally done below I did on my own initiative.

Then just a few weeks ago stocked some more RES, another 125 2-3" to add to the what was in the initial stock. For a new pond we had a tremendous crop of snails so I wanted to make sure we had adequate RES to keep them in check (Nov 2013).

In our renovated pond (about one acre) put 125 RES also and had caught 10 adult BG out of our new pond late summer and put them in. Not exactly sure what I'm going to ultimately do with that pond as far as fish go. I may catch a few LMB and put in to keep the BG from getting out of hand.

Ok, so this is what I have to date. Here is what information I have assumed that I would try to follow unless I get better information:
Regulating fish harvest in Kansas ponds

It has already been suggested by ewest that I start harvesting CC at 2 lbs or they could become a problem. I would like to start taking some BG out next summer to stock some adult BG in some of the ponds I have been renovating for my kids. Maybe a few BG and CC to eat. If I take a few BG out is that going to hurt my forage base in the long run?

What can I look forward to as far as harvest? What should I avoid doing? The above Kansas article talks about catch and release for the first three years, then having slot limits.

Would like to hear suggestions for my own benefit as well as for all the other members that have also been stocking new ponds.

Last edited by snrub; 01/02/14 05:27 PM. Reason: clarification

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine