I would like to put some crayfish in my pond to feed the LMB and maybe even reproduce. I would like to hear opinions on this.

We have 12 different crayfish species in MD, 8 native and 4 non-native. There are even crayfish in the next county over that we don't have here in my county. This is according to the DNR.

I would like to stock the native species from around here as my first choice. I don't want the burrower type. Already have those.

Every freshwater creek, pond, stream, swamp, ditch and waterhole around here has crayfish. They are easy and fun to catch with traps and nets. But trying to ID the exact species is a different story. All ponds and creeks around here have the holes on the bank with mud chimneys. I'm thinking they are devil crayfish. Not suppose to be common crayfish, or virile crayfish here in this county, but they are everywhere else.

The only choices I can see other than trapping wild crayfish is two choices for buying them, Papershells from Smith Creek or crayfish from Zetts.

Would papershells be OK here? Am I too far south?
Does anyone know the exact crayfish species that Zetts has?

Free expert fishing tips. Just call BR-549.