Originally Posted By: DD
We drug it out and by the smell, knew that only Catmandoo would try to eat it.

Naw! Even I wouldn't waste my time with such a critter. I'd use my backhoe to dig a deep hole.

As my close acquaintances know,I don't let much meat go to waste. I hate to see good roadkill go to waste.

In the last 60+ years, I've helped, or fully butchered, many thousands of critters. In general, many mature warm-blooded male animals,ready for mating,are not good for eating. This is based on North American tastes and standards. As I found, while spending a lot of my life in other cultures, some of these strong tastes are highly desired in these other cultures.

To most of us of European or Scandinavian descent in North America, the taste of meat from a mature boar hog or a mature billy goat, is not our dream of a great steak, roast, stew, or rack of ribs. IMO, this also goes for bear and sheep,etc.

For us guys, think of a gas station urinal that hasn't been cleaned for about two weeks. To me, that kind of smell is what permeates the meat of many mature male warm-blooded mammals wanting to mate,especially hogs,bears sheep,and goats.

I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done to remove this essence and taste. If there is, my father's generation and I have never found it.

Yes, the meat can be used in very spiced and processed sausage, but to those of us who know what it is -- it is what it is.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!