I wouldn't say poor quality, nutrient rich for sure. Lake is 100+ years old.

The typical (well, what is typical anymore?) winter would see weeds dying out due to lack of sunlight from snow cover.

The lake is fed by underground springs and 3 creeks.

Typically the cycle is:

EWM and CLP really starts growing in the early Spring, the CLP grows to the surface in up to 10' of water, EWM to surface in 6'- 8' of water. Boating and some private herbacide applications allows a bloom to get a foothold, and it snowballs, usually dropping the visibility to 18" or less during the summer. Boating activity dies back in the Fall, phytoplankton too, and the vascular plants start growing before ice on. The 3 most prevalent "plants" in the lake are EWM, CLP and Chara. 2012 saw a lakewide low dose Fluridone treatment for EWM and CLP. The remainder of 2012 and 2013 saw very little vascular plant growth, but an even denser algae bloom (but no FA, maybe due to boat traffic?). Lake also has Pumpkinseeds in it. I have caught 10" RES in there. Minimal to no snail population, there are crayfish, freshwater clams and mussels. Common Carp stir the bottom during spawning time, and there are also yellow and black bullheads in the lake that nobody fishes for. No catfish that I know of. LMB, BG, YP, BCP, RES, PS, and a few NP. Years ago the NP did well, but now their spawning habitat is minimal.

Bucket stocking has resulted in GSH, GSD, and just recently WB. WE and BC were stocked years ago, but couldn't sustain a viable reproducing population.

Last DNR fish population survey showed GSH make up slightly more than 60% of the fish biomass.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).