Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
[quote=JKB]

The main reason that Aquaculturalist don't use galvanized tanks, is because ya should be cleaning them from time to time to get results, and a scrubbing could easily release the oxidized material into the water that your filtration could never eliminate.

laugh

Phil,

Ya know there is no cleaning from time to time with dual flow bottom and side drain self cleaning circular tanks. grin

Riiiiight. grin

Actually you do know all the surfaces in a recirc system are places for autothropic bacteria to grow on right? I saw one figure that said up to 30 percent of the surface area for it to grow on is on tank surfaces. So you don't want to clean too well. wink That's a common mistake for aquarium newbies.

I also find messing with the tanks stresses the fish.

It's amazing how clean my circular tanks are with the bottom drain and fish swimming around to move solids to the bottom drain. One pull of the slide valve on the external stand pipe and it's out of there! Just like a toilet! Of course my trout tanks will have continuous flow out of the bottom drain.

My trout large trout tanks will have a bottom center drain that will flow via gravity continuously about 10 to 20 percent of the flow to a parabolic sieve filter to get the larger solids out of the system almost immediately, instead of sitting their polluting the water. The side drain will also go to the parabolic sieve filter. Then the flow will to a rotary drum filter and on to my low head rbc's. After that it's a sump tank with airlift tubes and a foam fractionator and back to the tanks via tpr's (tangential point returns).

All DIY except for the rotary drum filter and sieve filter. Tanks will be low cost Intex pools.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/26/13 09:35 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.