I used a system like this for years until "city water" came by the property. The system is still in place but we only use it for outside activities.

Our system had two filters and two infusion pumps. When the water came into the house it was infused with both chlorine (bleach) and alum. That killed the bacteria and settled the color out of the water. Then it went into first one and then another 150 gallon tank to let the chlorine work and the alum to settle the sediment out. Then into a sand filter and a charcoal filter (the charcoal takes the chlorine out of the water). Then into the faucets, etc.

The system worked well, but required back flushing of the sand and charcoal filters. What came out was very clean pure water.

I have been told a household of four people uses between 100 and 200 gallons of water per day. The draw down of a one acre pond based on that type of usage would be no problem.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,