So, I've been lurking around PB for a few months. What a great site! laugh Thanks to all of you for the tips and great information.

But, now the shovel is about to split the dirt and I have a few questions. I've read a number of threads and as much as I could find in the archives on cover and structure. I've read Bob's book on pond management three times. So, I have the basic idea but it's all academic so far. Here's a little background...

The 0.5 acre cattle tank (photo below) was built by my grandfather in Northeast Texas around the 1940's and, with Otto's help, I plan to enlarge it to about 2 to 2.5 acres. I plan to stock FHM, GS, CNBG, BG, CC and LMB so my wife and I can enjoy fishing in retirement when we're not cruising the country on our Gold Wing. cool

I'm attaching a "concept" drawing of the pond as we haven't shot grade yet. Obviously, mother nature and a crafty dozer will dictate the actual shape. But, we walked it several times and I don't think I'm too far off the topography.

To the point... I'd like to use all natural cover in the pond. In the drawing, I have placed the cover trying to create a "fish highway" as someone described in a previous post. But, again, I am a complete novice and this is all an academic exercise at this point. If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate your thoughts on the concept drawing and the best types of natural cover. Is this too much or too little cover (I remember a 20% rule-of-thumb from one of the threads)? Does the layout create a suitable "fish highway"? Anything you'd add to the habitat? Any comments or insights would be greatly appreciated.

PS: This is my first attempt to add images so, hopefully, they are attached. If not, I'll keep trying. blush

Attached Images
PondConcept.jpg SouthPondView.jpg

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
- Doug Larson