I shouldn't get fish from a place that I know a few people in my region have gotten fish from. They claim that they don't test their fish for diseases and recommended not buying from them. Short question here is - is this the state trying to sell me to a specific vendor or are there real concerns with this?

I was trying to source HSB and I'm not going to toss out any vendor names because I dont know if it's against the forum rules. But I was ready to order some from a vendor plain out right. I then decided to call the DNR to see if I could find some a little closer so I could drive and pick them up. They told me in MD you need a permit in order to stock a private pond with them (other vendor didn't even mention that). And it's not just any permit, but they have to come and inspect the pond to make sure they can't escape to public water ways.

I should mention that I'm perfectly fine doing all of this if it's legally required. I just don't know if I should be concerned with my sources now is all.