Aeration IMO will not reduce that type of bloom and its biomass an appreciable amount. You might be able to mix the pond strong enough to put most of the surface bloom blended into the water column but the amount of growth will prevail. I think excess phosphorus and possibly a shortage of nitrogen is feeding that particular type of bloom. If it were my pond with the surface film pushed into a fairly narrow band at one end, I would spray the film with diluted Green Clean Pro liquid or dissolved Phycomycin. Both with same active ingredient. The algae should decompose fairly quickly and recycle some nitrate and phosphate to stimulate other more beneficial planktonic algae. Ideally one wants to spray the surface film before it forms reproductive spores to regenerate next year's same type bloom.

How old was the Phytomycin? It should have at least killed what was on top. PM me for info to test the reactivity of the Phycomycin. Make sure when you mixthe granules into the water that all are dissolved before spraying. Get good even coverage of the surface film. also then take about 1/2 to one gallon of granules and spread it fairly evenly over top the film to get the algae that is suspended under the film. It is possible that you are killing what is currently on the surface and more is floating to the top from in the water column .

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/11/13 06:56 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management