Quote:
Originally posted by bz:
This is interesting. So I have a question. If I dig a hole and after some short time it fills partially up with water (not caused by rain), does this mean I've dug down into the water table? That's how I've always thought about it. Or is this still considered surface water? In the case of my pond I dug it out of a low lying area that was always wet and the pond filled up regardless of rain does that mean I've dug it below the water table and thus the water table is sustaining my water level? I think that's what I've done and I guess I should consider myself blessed in that regardless of how little or much rain we get my pond level only fluctuates about 1 foot. Underground water has always intrigued me.
This all depends on several things. Springs and seeps come from higher ground, and can actually fill a pond year around. (or at least it would not drain the pond in dry weather).

If you have a lot of surrounding high ground, you can actually hit water bearing sand very close to the surface. In this case, your pond would stay pretty full year around. When the water table drops in dry weather, the pond level probably would not drop a lot. Sounds like that's your situation, you lucky dog. \:\)