Esshup, agreed on all points about meat care. I forgot to mention the running aspect, as it has only happened to me once. I typically bow hunt, and have never hunted with dogs. However, I did have a friend call me once and tell me that there was a group of does coming my way. He had jumped them on the other side of the farm and then slowly pushed them through the different woodlots until he got close to my location. I picked out one of the fawns and performed a headshot so as to preserve as much of the tender meat as possible. That meat was so tough and tasteless that it was the one time my family complained. SO...if you hunt with dogs, I have no advice for you on how to make the meat good, or tender. Based on my one experience, I suspect you will not be able to do either...but if you can, more power to you!

Also agreed on the plastic bags. I used to do that in order to keep the meat out of the icy water. Two problems...one was that most of the time the bag developed a hole and water got in, the second was that it just made the outside of the meat a little slimy. I don't use any bags now, but I do keep the meat on top of the ice. Most of the time I cut the meat up within 24 hours of putting it on the ice. Using something between the meat and the ice would be best.

I started opening the bottom plug each day, allowing it to drain, then closing it. When I used to leave it open all day, the flies would congregate around the opening.