Hi All, I have not been on with a question in some time,but I kinda have one now.
Background is last year I had fil. algae(30%to 40%) issue and controlled it at last with tilapia after trying to keep it raked out. Could not get Tilapia this year due to waiting too late and had a algae problem. I have not used chemicals yet.

I am really looking into next year because my pond will be full for the first time by next month and I can finish my stocking program. So here is my question on a blended approach to algae and weed control: Could one use pond dye to control light penetration to say 15 to 18" and the tilapia to help as well. Will the phytoplankton and zooplankton still do well? I do not fertilizer due to using a feeder and Aquamax feed,plus aeration. I have discussed the pond in other posts, but do not expect anyone to remember.The pond is at 1 surface acre,+ a little. Deepest part is 16 to 17 ft. Hold about 1.2 Million gals/6.5 acre ft.Total alky about 120,PH runs 6.8 to 7.0,TDS about 350 and other parameters within the normal ranges per most pond boss articles and posts.
I just cannot remember someone writing or discussing using pond dye (some) for a siski disk reading and then tilapia to help with what is left over in the shallow water areas.
Any response would be welcome or maybe someone has already tried it and can tell me don't worry with it and just use tilapia and chemicals for spots.

Last edited by mpc; 09/18/13 09:55 PM. Reason: misspells/ grammer please forgive other misspells.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.