My current philosophy is one of trying to get a sustainable system going without much input. Thus I really want to have species that will breed as the longterm goal. I have a hundred acres of wildlife habitat that I am developing/restoring and I am not getting any younger (and funds are limited). I am happy with this approach in my LMB/BG/RES pond. I did have a fish kill in that pond a few years back (under snow-covered ice) but it is coming back slowly. I must admit that I enjoy throwing in some pellets in this established pond to see the BG feed (about 75 seem to show up), but the new pond is further away from the house. I really want this new pond for some SMB fishing for visitors. I have 2 more potential pond sites and some house repairs to get done. With plans for the next 200 years in place, I have to prioritize. I know that more intense management would yield good results because I farm part time, but I am OK with less than optimal production and enjoy the challange of trying to get a balance in the ponds (and surrounding areas). Just controlling the thousands of willow seedlings and hundreds of cattail volunteers around the new pond is challenge enough.