Aaron: I bottled some of this pond's aroma, which was horrid, just in case the competition was close. The decaying bottom-muck was releasing lots of nauseating gas. Being "a guy", I was somewhat envious of its volume and potency.
Frank: The first picture was taking while I was conducting a sub-surface SONAR injection-treatment. Dose was approx 70 ppb. The other two pictures depicted a topical treatment with HABITAT herbicide (targeting alligator weed - plus it will control any contacted duckweed). Rate: 3/4% solution + 1/4% MSO/organosylicone surfactant.
Matt: I was treating a particularly nasty site - but certainly wasn't applying anything "nasty". ???
Bobad: I think even the gar lost their battle to survive in this pond. No fish could live under those conditions (yes, that is water floating my kayak). Grass carp and tilapia would have been no match for this site's problems.
bz: Alligatorweed grows both "rooted" and in a detached, partially-floating form. Being an exotic (non-native) specie, alligatorweed is quite capable of infesting many types of ponds - regardless of their shoreline depths. You're protected (in MN) from this invasive-exotic by your northern climate. We're not so fortunate (in that respect) in the South. It is certainly your prerogative to refrain from herbicide-usage; particularly with your pond's configuration and orientation - and if you welcome the periodic exercise along with the savings. I just hope you aren't avoiding herbicides due to any safety or environmental misperceptions.