Originally Posted By: Zep

Matt are there no decent size black bass in the pond?

There are, but obviously not enough.

The pond is probably 1/4 - 1/2 acre, not real big nor very deep, maybe 5'-8' with a few holes.

It is shallow in the center and deeper around the edges since it was cleaned out some time ago, but the excavator could only reach so far.

The pond is full of 2"-4" bluegill. When they are biting the kids can't keep a hook in the water.
But they are just too small, never caught more than a couple 6" or larger and the body condition of them was poor.

I have caught a few decent bass, largest 1-2 lbs (deep hooked at dusk and i had no light with me, he ended up released into hot grease).

I did catch a 9"-10" crappie this spring while fishing with the kids, kind of a surprise.

We were at lunch talking the other day (work party renovating the range/doubling the number of shooting lanes) and the condition of the pond came up.

I've only been a member for 4 years and the bluegill have always been tiny.
Some of the other members talked about when there were good sized bluegill in the pond and how to fix it and I suggested traps.
So I got nominated to look into it.

The pond is lightly managed, they added aeration a few years ago after a fish kill and it is stocked with catfish every year before the fathers day camp out.

Somebody hand feeds every once in a while, not sure how often.

It is primarily used for taking the kids fishing although plenty of adults fish it.