[/quote]
Because rabies in coons has become so prevalent, I no longer touch coons. I still "take out" a number of them each year, but I don't touch them. I leave them for the scavengers. If I have to move them, it is with the tractor front-end loader, or a pole and pulley I have, much like what the( professionals use to grab wild animals from a distance.)

besides farming I also am a licensed nuisance wildlife control professional, and state certified predator control hunter/trapper, then during winter I am a fur trapper. It is not unusual for me to take over 5,000 raccoons, 11,000 opossums, 2,300 fox, 7,800 coyotes, etc.. per year, I give these numbers, (have to report them to State wildlife Officials) to show the extent at which I handle these creatures,first I only use a catch pole when handling live animals that bite, including dogs, second some live animals like opossums, I don't use a pole, nudge them with your foot they play dead, pick them up by the back of their head and toss them in a sack (now you Georgia boys should know all about possum in a sack) I assure you that at least in the state of Indiana the cases of wildlife rabies is way over exaggerated, there are I am afraid to say others in my wildlife control profession who purposely exaggerate these facts for their own financial interest. I do not condone this practice, and in fact it angers me, spreading fear through lies to enrich ones self to me is no more than a form of terrorism. Now that said it is good practice to wear gloves when handling these animals, but don't be afraid of them, and don't waste a resource, even Georgia coat coons are going for ten bucks apiece this year. And if one enjoys a coon dinner, rabies is only in the blood and brain, and coons are no more of a carrier than squirrels, same percentage, so, clean your coon, cook it thoroughly and enjoy.

If your job is something you enjoy youll never work a day in your life