when i started digging the core at the highest point i only had to go down about 2 feet before i was able to get through the top soil. the ground turned to a dark grey clay that was hard to dig. when i hit that i came up with red clay that i used to compact for the core. as i got about 30 feet or so from the creek i had to start going down to about 6 feet. water would start coming in about 3 feet down. i would dig down past the water to hard shell rock. it was really hard so i stopped their. the water came in slow enough that i could put the core in. it wasn't until i tried to finish at old creek that i ran in to the water coming in. i was thanking maybe the water ran back to the holl because it was the lowest point. i was able to dig down about 9 or 10 feet. the water was coming in around 4 feet from the top. we have had a lot of rain this summer so that isn't helping much. i could have probably finished the core but i new that if i didn't do something about the water it would just keep coming up in the old creek bed and wash the back side of the dam out over time. so i am at a stand still. i am undecided on what to do. i could try digging up the creek as it goes down hill and see what i can find. i was able to look at the holl that i dug yesterday and after 4 days water is still coming out and running down the ol creek bed. but we did have about 1.5 inches of rain over that time. sorry for long post lol