Even though the term “stocking Ladder” was coined some ten years ago for Hybrid Striped Bass, T.J. is the first that I am aware of to successfully utilize this program, other than early HSB pondsters.

Since HSB are non-reproductive species, this is the only way to have a new crop on the way each year to take advantage of excellent sport fishing, table fare, and as T.J. mentions, the larger sizes are very efficient at controlling BG over population.
Thanks T.J.

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Well done amigo - man you have long arms! At my big pond, the HSB did get progressively more hook shy to the point where only live bait [nosehooked BG or GSH] or pellet imitations will fool them. Consider ladder stocking small quantities of HSB annually [10-15] - that way all year classes are represented and you have a a frosh, soph, junior and sr class growing every year. This also allows for more harvest, as HSB are good eating in my experience once I cut out the red muscle tissue in the fillets. For fish that won't recruit in a pond [WE, HSB], ladder stocking is a good fishery management strategy and has worked well for me thus far.

Good job!

For those interested in some ten years experience and history of Hybrid Striped Bass this link should be of interest.
It covers a lot of information from early pioneering in southern waters with valuable in-put from Todd Overton and Bruce Condello.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92629#Post92629

This has been a successful ten year progran for me, but now starting over after record drought years wiping out my big HSB and Florida.LMB. Bonus kill for LMB allowing stocking program of Camelot Florida LMB.

We have a few 8lb+ HSB in little pond that get special care, a result of proven "stocking ladder" that has been utilized for many years.
We will restock main pond this fall with 8-10 inch HSB – another rung in the “ladder”.

George Glazener

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/07/16 08:50 AM. Reason: spell correct

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)