Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
In a small pond of 1200sqft X ave 4 ft deep (35000g) I'm not sure you want fish reproducing in that pond. Management of the numbers would be time consuming compared to non-spawning fish. Weigh your options.

Consider draining it dry, dry no puddles, for the fall-winter season. Maybe apply a layer of hydrated lime to the sediments pre-ground freeze. These two methods should kill leeches and allow pond to break down and decompose a lot of the accumulated organic materials which is a common practice in fish farm ponds. Refill in spring for a good leech free swimming season.

Bill, I think you are spot on with both statements. If it was mine, I'd drain it and sprinkle a couple hundered pounds of hydrated lime (quick lime) in it. That way if rain/snow melt entered before it completely froze over, there would be enough extra to cover the increased volume of water. Don't just cover the remaining water in the pond with the H. lime, cover the whole pond basin from where the water is on down.

If he can source Male Pumpkinseed Sunfish when they are spawning, I'd think about tossing them in the pond next year as well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).