I can attest to the fact that you have to run the aerator during the winter and you also have to make sure it doesn't cool down the whole pond. I accomplish this by having my bottom diffuser in the deepest spot but only running it for two shifts a day, each 4 hours long. I have had 2 feet of snow on the pond without ever losing a fish that I've seen. I have HBG, Crappie, and LMB. They have all done well. Can't say if this will work for everyone since all ponds are different. My pond is very long with deep section in the middle and vast shallower areas (4 feet) on both ends. My area ratio is about 2/3 shallow to 1/3 deep. Perhaps this has made my situation work. I get a kick out of you southern guys talking about cooler weather and not feeding during cooler temps. Wish I had your version of cool weather. My fish feed all the way up to ice over in November. Then how about -20 degrees for 2 weeks straight in January sound to you? That's why you can't let the aerator run 24/7 in these northern climates.

Gotta get back to fishin!