Gents,

I have done an awful lot of reading on siphons on this site, and also on some others. There is not a whole lot of information on these systems in northern climates. I would like to install one of these systems in our puddle out front, but have some major concerns about how this system would hold up thru the cold winter months we get. I'm pretty sure I could defeat the trap freezing issue by using a 45 "wye" with a female adapter/screw-in cap. (this was suggested by lassig I believe in another thread)

Probably my biggest concern would be water freezing in the "inlet" side of the syphon right at water level. The fact that it wouldn't act as a primary spillway due to the "ice plug" doesn't bother me as much as the pipe possibly cracking due to said "ice plug". This type of failure could possibly create a constant flow in the middle of the dam.

I would love to implement one of these into our pond as a primary spillway (currently only have an earthen spillway) and also as a means of evacuating stagnant cold water. Anybody have one of these babies installed in a cold weather climate that sees significant ice that can report?

Thanks,