Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
This is great and makes me want to try and throw something together.

Just do it! Otherwise, it will never happen.

My tank at my son's house is made from one of the 400 gallon IBC tanks. He's been collecting lettuce and peppers. His tomato plants have lots of green tomatoes on them -- cherry, Early Girl, Big Boy, and one of my heirlooms -- I just don't remember which kind. The cucumber plants and squash plants all have fruits growing. And that is all in a 4'x4'x6" area that is flooded and drained with a very small pump and bell siphon. He was going to add two rows of green beans yesterday.

We have been having some mortality with fish. I'm assuming it is probably lack of D.O., since the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are immeasurable, and the pH is about 7.1. Yesterday, we added more line to the pump side, and the pumped water is now being sprayed into the beds to hopefully add a little more oxygen. We also added more pipe to the drain side, along with some holes on the side of the pipe, to hopefully add even more oxygen to the water.

Because of the problems with fish mortality, I put in some goldfish from a local pet store. They too died, but it appeared to be from ICK. The original fatheads we put in have spawned, and are doing well. I think all the bluegill are gone. A few of the tilapia are still swimming.

If this doesn't help, I will probably put an airstone in the bottom and add a medium size aeration pump.

Last edited by catmandoo; 07/08/13 03:59 PM.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!