Originally Posted By: Okie Bob
Originally Posted By: Shorty
Dang, that one knocked the Hallam Nebraska tornado off the top of the record books for the widest tornado ever recorded. I remember the Hallam tornado, it ended up south of Lincoln before it petering out. That was one of the greenest, erie looking skies I have ever seen. Our local weather man was on the air freaking out the whole time that tornado was on the ground an it was on the ground for 52 miles.
2004 Hallam Nebraska Tornado

According to Wiki, this storm was on the ground for 10 minutes and traveled 52 miles?????? Someone do the math on this! 60mph is a mile a minute. This has got to be false information.....

It was on the ground a lot longer than 10 minutes, that I DO remember. Here is another entry you can trust. grin That first entry probably has typo and is missing a zero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_2004_tornado_outbreak_sequence

Quote:
The most damaging tornado in the outbreak first touched down at 7:30 P.M. CDT in northwestern Jefferson County. The tornado then moved to the northeast, through southern Saline County and northwestern Gage County. By the time it entered Lancaster County, it measured an F4 on the Fujita scale and the damage was 2.5 miles (4 km) wide. The tornado passed into Otoe County, disappearing just west of Palmyra at 9:10. The tornado had a path length of about 54 miles, and was on the ground for 100 minutes.