Originally Posted By: kenc
Brian, this is really neat. Is there anyway that you could do this and make money or is it just a good hobby.

Ken C,

For a number of years I have been loosely associated with, and volunteer at, a WVU research farm that includes a large aquaponics operation. At most times, there are about 30,000 trout in raceways supplied with water from a large spring. The water goes through a large aquaponic greenhouse and a large aquaponic high tunnel before going through filters and a settling pond that is filled with rafts. This is not a recirculating system.

I haven't been involved much in the last year, but I'd say the jury is still out on whether it can be profitable and practical, on a commercial scale, in this part of the US -- especially in places like VA and WV.

IMHO, a lot more research and development is required. Just one of many issues in large scale harvesting of edible vegetables includes e-coli in the water. It contact be allowed to contact the edible food without extensive cleansing measures.

Again IMHO, for small scale and home use it is great for people without adequate gardening facilities. Planting density is greatly increased over conventional gardening. Thus, someone with just a balcony can grow a pretty fair amount of vegetables with a system that takes up about 16 square feet. Those same vegetables would take up several hundred square feet in conventional earth gardening.

Especially in areas of the world where water is scarce, the recirculating systems are very valuable. In this country, it is practical for niche markets. My wife's family is friends with people in New York state who raise tilapia and vegetables for their high-end restaurant using aquaponics.

I believe it is an ever-increasingly more efficient method of raising food. Thirty to forty years ago, hydroponics was in its infancy, and niche markets made it successful. Aquaponics is that next major step, but with even better quality food.

Now, it is time for me to go plant my sweet potatoes, bird egg beans, squash, and cucumbers in the conventional organic garden. (This is kind of related to aquaponics -- I use a 2-inch semi-trash pump to pull irrigation water from one of my ponds for this 100' x 50' garden.)

Ken G.

P.S. -- Again, a thanks to Brian for starting this thread. It will help bring information to a lot of people on the fish side, in contrast to the aquaponics forums that primarily provide great info on the system and veggie side. I personally really appreciate what he has been posting.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!