Hey folks,
I've been reading a number of threads on people building floating islands out of a number of artificial materials..
Has anybody experimented or successfully built a floating island without artificial flotation?
Larry(adirondack pond) mentioned a natural island on his pond but I think it was naturally formed when the pond was built

I had an idea to create one:
  • Build it after summer when water levels are lowest
  • Lay out a hard platform or something like weedblock tarp to separate the island from the soil. (so it can easily separate from ground and float)
  • Pack in the mixture of soil(s), plant roots, or live plants (The mix would be key...). Maybe have different layers. I think trying to mimmick the soil/mix of natural floating islands may be the best approach.
  • Pack the mix 2-4 feet deep, with a 10-15 ft diameter.
  • Perhaps let some plants start growing on it - would this help with the natural flotation?
  • Let sit for several months out of water for soil to harden and plant roots to grab the soil
  • If all successful, the island would rise with the water once the lake fills back up.
Maybe I'm just dreaming here but thought I'd throw it out here to see if its a possibility..
Do you know of any books/textbooks that would be good for understanding how these natural islands work?

Regards,
Nate