I have gotten some great tips and ideas about planting some hardy water lillies in my trout pond, and just wanted to post a thread on the topic.

I have 25 hardy lily rhizomes coming in a few weeks. My pond is about 3/4 acre, sloping 3:1 from shore, with rich clay soil. We raise Rainbow Trout, and are adding 5 Grass Carp in June to help with the milfoil and other aquatic weeds.

Esshup had a great suggestion of placing a chicken wire cage around each lily plant to keep the carp from eating them entirely. He thought to extend the wire to just below the water surface so it is invisible yet effective. Our water level at full pool is fairly stable.

As far as planting the lilies themselves, what do you all suggest? Should I place the pots in the pond, or remove the lily rhizomes from the pots and wrap them in chicken wire before planting directly in the pond soil? Also, I am wondering about ideal planting depth?

I want the lilies to thrive, our water gets deep quickly from shore so there is a limited area for the lilies to take over. Ideally, the lilies will form an aquatic hedgerow of sorts that runs along the shallows.

Any ideas much appreciated! I am sure there is something I am not even considering. PondBoss advice has been spot on with everything else so far, and my pond thanks you for it.
-Adam