Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Neat set up and good way to raise fish. I assume you will use something like this to raise the trout fry-fingerlings?
I was told by a fish raiser that the settlable solids mostly manure is the biggest cause of ammonia and deterioriated water quality in a RAS. Do you think that is true?.

Actually contrary to popular belief the most ammonia is given off by the fish's gills.

The settleable solids are the easiest to remove. Suspended solids are the most difficult due to the fact that they are quite small in diameter down to a few microns and want to stay suspended in the water column.

That said, the smaller a fish is, the more often it eats and the more fecal material it produces. That coupled with the fact that many producers crowd their fry to get the best feeding response, it's really important to keep their tank as clean as possible to prevent gill infections.

I will be doing something like this but a much smaller tank initially to keep them crowded as I only need to produce a few hundred trout a year.

I'll be using recirculated water to hatch them which most don't do but things are changing.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/21/13 03:06 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.