Originally Posted By: Rainman
JWM..."extreme" is very relative. For trophy bass waters, stocking in excess of 100 pounds per surface acre is used to both produce huge amounts of forage, and to strip vegetation. As Salex said, it comes down to budget. I would suggest having an aeration system running if stocking at a rate pushing 70 pounds/acre due to the lost oxygen production due to plant loss, but the added biomass will utilize normally unused nutrients, consume little dissolved oxygen, and an earthen bottom pond can handle the added ammonia/nitrites.

Originally Posted By: I JWM I
Rainman-Agree with extreme being relative but in my research most of the information I have found hasn't mentioned stocking rates above 20lbs per acre. The information didn't really advise against higher stocking rates it was just devoid of any information on higher stocking rates. Glad to hear from folks who have first hand e stocking rates well in excess of 20lbs and the results have been mostly positive. Again the last thing I wanted to do is overdo it because I didn't do my due diligence.

JWM, I have learned that we have to be careful about receiving advice from northern sources about tilapia stocking rates in Texas ponds .
Scott (Essup) has taught me there are many reasons for stocking rates in northern waters that do not apply to our Texas water.

George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)