I have been having the same dilemma as RC51. The trout have been feeding well, with no luck catching them. Tried lots of different methods; small hooks, big hooks, with bobbers, without bobbers, flies, actual pellets glued onto hooks, etc, etc.

So I bought a package of SS and tried this morning again. Tried without bobber, but couldn't get a bite (because I don't think I can get it out far enough). Put bobber on, got a few nudges, but nothing. Took bobber back off, and finally caught one for the first time this year. However, that was it. Couldn't catch another one. Meanwhile the trout are hammering the feed all around it. I think they are extra cautious, and the SS is sinking compared to the floating pellets. The SS is also larger than the feed.

I think next time I will try cutting the SS to be the size of my pellets. Then will try a version of a cane pole and dangle the SS on the surface to keep it from sinking. I am not convinced that it is the size of the SS bait, because of me trying the actual pellet glued onto a hook and that didn't work. But in all my attempts so far, the hook makes the bait sink, so I am thinking it is the sinking action that has the trout wary.